Counseling / Psychotherapy Services
Lindeman & Associates mental health providers use a number of effective types of psychotherapy. Some work better than others in treating certain disorders and conditions.
In many cases, mental health professionals use a combination of techniques. A Lindeman & Associates therapist will consider an individual’s particular situation and preferences to determine the most beneficial approach. Psychotherapy is offered in different formats, including individual, couples, family or group therapy sessions, and can be effective for all age groups. Although many subtypes and variations of therapies exist, some psychotherapy techniques proven to be effective include:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy, helps individuals identify unhealthy, negative beliefs and behaviors and replace them with healthy, positive ones.
- Dialectical behavior therapy, a type of cognitive behavioral therapy that teaches behavioral skills to help individuals handle stress, manage emotions, and improve relationships with others.
- Acceptance and commitment therapy, helps individuals become aware of and accept their thoughts and feelings and commit to making changes, increasing a person’s ability to cope with and adjust to situations.
- Psychodynamic and psychoanalysis therapies, focuses on increasing individual’s awareness of unconscious thoughts and behaviors, developing new insights into motivations, and resolving conflicts.
- Interpersonal psychotherapy, focuses on addressing problems with current relationships with other people to improve interpersonal skills — how a person relates to others, such as family, friends and colleagues.
- Supportive psychotherapy, reinforces one’s ability to cope with stress and difficult situations.
- Sports psychology, focuses on helping athletes cope with the intense pressure that can come from competition, as well as helping overcome problems with focus and motivation.